If you’ve ever had a flat tire, you know how frustrating and inconvenient it can be. Knowing what to do in case of a flat tire can help you get back on the road quickly and safely. Here are a few steps to follow if you have a flat tire:
- Find a safe place to stop. If you have a flat tire while driving, try to find a safe place to pull over. Avoid stopping on the side of the road if possible, as it can be dangerous. Instead, try to find a parking lot or other safe location where you can change your tire.
- Turn on your hazard lights. Once you have found a safe place to stop, turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers to your presence. This will help to keep you safe while you are changing your tire.
- Locate your spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. These tools are usually stored in the trunk of your vehicle. Make sure you know where they are and how to use them before you need to change your tire.
- Remove the hubcap (if applicable). If your vehicle has a hubcap, use the lug wrench to remove it. This will reveal the lug nuts that hold the tire in place.
- Loosen the lug nuts. Use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire, but do not remove them completely. Loosening the lug nuts before you lift the car will make it easier to remove them later.
- Use the jack to lift the car. Consult your owner’s manual for the proper location to place the jack. Once the car is lifted, remove the lug nuts and take off the flat tire.
- Put on the spare tire. Place the spare tire on the car and hand-tighten the lug nuts. Lower the car back to the ground and then use the lug wrench to fully tighten the lug nuts. Make sure they are tightened evenly and securely.
- Check the pressure on the spare tire. Make sure the spare tire is properly inflated according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Underinflated tires can cause problems and may not be safe to drive on.
By following these steps, you can quickly and safely change a flat tire and get back on the road. Remember to always be aware of your surroundings and use caution when changing a tire on the side of the road. If you don’t feel comfortable changing your own tire, you can call a roadside assistance service for help.
While changing a flat tire on your own can be a frustrating and inconvenient task, there are times when it may be more beneficial to call a towing company for assistance. For example, if you are in a dangerous location or are not comfortable changing your own tire, it is safer to call a professional. Additionally, if you don’t have a spare tire or the tools needed to change a tire, a towing company can help you get your vehicle to a repair shop where the issue can be properly addressed. By calling a towing company, you can ensure that your vehicle is transported safely and efficiently, giving you peace of mind.
Find your local towing company here